Thursday, March 8, 2012

The future of dog

I frequently find myself running errands in a cluster of stores that also happens to contain PetSmart. Since my youngest is nearing 2, and therefore not the easiest shopping companion, I will often take him into PetSmart between errands as an offering to the toddler gods. It's great, we check out the rows of aquariums, visit the rodent cages, stroll by the birds, and then inevitably end up at their so-called "doggy day camp". This part is his favorite.

He's fascinated with dogs of all varieties and has no problem approaching them on his own. I can see that of my two kids, he's going to be one begging for a dog. And the problem is that neither me nor my husband want a dog. It's not that I don't like dogs, I grew up with one and had a fine experience. But I just can't even begin to comprehend adding the doggie responsibilities to my already-towering list of things to do and people to take care of. Is it not enough that I'm already changing tons of diapers - let's add the pooper scooper to the repertoire! And how much money do they eat up in specially formulated kibbles and health care? I'll admit it would be nice to have the dog under our kitchen table for scrap clean up, but that doesn't even begin to cancel out the shedding or the smell. I guess I'm just not enough of a dog person to accept all those other duties that go along with one. And certainly not while we're overrun by small kids. So, given my strong feelings about the matter, why does something about this whole business seem slightly out of my control? Famous last words.

3 comments:

  1. This strikes me as funny. I think, as with most things, if you were excited about having a dog in your family, the care and expense concerns would feel smaller.

    I think a dog doesn't have to be very expensive to take care of--if ours is a good indicator. He has his kibble (which we buy in large bags at PetSmart every few months, but thankfully never see the doggiecamp filled up like that--how sad! so crowded, so tiled!) and he's had very few medical bills in the four years we've had him. He's not destructive, even to his own toys. Where he stays when we go away is hard to figure out sometimes, but something always does work out. He's gotten less exercise since Roger came along, but that has been a big adjustment for everyone. And it's both awesome that he cleans up under Roger's chair at the table and how much Roger adores him. Get Field a dog! (We adopted him as a 2 yr old who was already house-trained and STTN, which I think is a lot more sane route to go with young kids than getting a puppy).
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god, you sound exactly like my sister and my aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet I'd love your sister and your aunt ;)

    ReplyDelete