Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Break is not for parents

My daughter is on Spring Break this week. It couldn't be a better one in terms of the weather. Like the rest of the country, we're basking in 70 degree sunshine, contentedly awaiting the 80s forecasted to arrive mid-week. We've been to the park, gone out for ice cream, and dug out our sandals and sunscreen. Our mornings are suddenly devoid of alarms and rushing and packing lunch. So why does this feel like an anti-break? I think it's because school is out. Routine is shot. And without routine, I slowly dissolve into a puddle on the floor.

I met a friend at the park yesterday. Since it basically felt like the middle of summer out there, the place was packed with kids. What was intended to be a relaxing morning, letting the kids run off some energy while catching up with another mom, turned into The Great Kid Hunt. Keeping your eye on one was hard enough, but two? Nearly impossible without neon flagging attached to their foreheads. My friend and I were lucky to get 5 minutes of talking in before we each had to run in opposite directions to prevent our 2-year-olds from trying out the fire pole or running into the swings.

I see the point of spring break for kids, but for parents I think it serves more as a warning to get your summer plans in line fast, or else risk 12 back-to-back weeks of spring break repeated.

3 comments:

  1. maybe we need a parents spring break where the kids are shipped off to boarding school for a week...or maybe that's what sleep-away camp is, summer break for parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I quote: "Like the rest of the country, we're basking in 70 degree sunshine..."
    Dude, we're freezing our a**es off here is CA!
    Enjoy your summer :) After the driest winter on record(?) we are finally getting a bit of winter weather. In fact, it snowed and hailed on me this Sunday - and no, I was not in Tahoe, I was 30 minutes from my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I second Rikke on that one... quit bragging about your Eastern weather patterns! WA and OR are getting freak snowstorms left and right.

    ReplyDelete